Tuesday 23 August 2011

Healthy Snacking #1


Hi beauties,

For something a little different, I thought I might share a few of my healthy snacking tips with you all.

The warmer weather is quickly approaching and I know many of us are kicking ourselves into gear to get ourselves looking amazing in those bikinis!

One of my major problems with staying healthy is snacking.

But lately I've become more aware of what I am actually putting into my body and have begun choosing better snacking foods (no more pringles or chocolate bars!)

Whilst browsing through the aisles of my Coles supermarket, I came across this brand. Lucky Smart Snax.

In particular the Antioxidant mix.

Look how tasty that looks!

The Antioxidant mix contains Almonds, Blueberries, Cranberries and Sultanas which all combine together to give you a healthy dose of antioxidants in just a small serving!

Antioxidants are naturally occurring chemicals in foods that help to reduce the effects of oxygen free radicals, which form during normal metabolism and through things such as x-rays, ultra-violet radiation and pollution.
 
By having five to seven servings of fruit and vegetables (which contain antioxidants) we can be protected and reduce the risk of heart disease and certain cancers.
 
What other benefits can I get from the mix?
 
Blueberries: Blueberries are bursting with antioxidants and are often labelled a super food. They help lower cholesterol and maintain a healthy heart. They have anti-aging properties, aid with weight loss, is an anti-inflammatory food and promote urinary health.
 
Sultanas: Another source of antioxidants, Sultanas are useful in preventing heart disease, aging and certain cancers.
 
Almonds: Almonds reduce the risk of heart attack, have anti inflammatory properties, contain a good dose of 'good fats' and lower cholesterol.
 
Cranberries: Promote urinary health, lowers the risk of certain cancers, can prevent bacteria from growing in the mouth and is full of anti oxidants.
So as you can tell, the mix can do amazing things for your body.
 
I've found that by snacking on this mix it fills me up and I don't find myself wanting to head back to the kitchen to look for sweets.
 
And the mix is just so tasty (especially the cranberries! Yum Yum!).
 

Pop the mix into little containers. That way it's easy to quickly grab a little contain and pop it into your handbag for a healthy snack on the go. I often grab a container when I am heading to the gym, for an after workout snack. I also make sure I take one to work and have it sitting on my desk to pick at throughout the day.

 
The perfect healthy snack!
 
A few times I have also added packets of other things into the mix - dried apricots, dried apples, banana chips etc. The possibilities are endless :)
 

I picked mine up from my local supermarket in the section with all the 'dried fruits'.

The bag of mix cost me about $5, and you get a fair amount in the bag (note: the bag is also zip locked so the mix stays nice if you decide to keep it in the packet)

You can check out the nutritional facts and the other products here.
 
 
What healthy snack do you love to snack on during the day?
Comment below!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post, I'm going to look out for this mix at the supermarket today.

    ReplyDelete